June 1, 2020
By Eslam Abdelaal, Saudi Regulatory Program Expert
In April 2020, Saudi Standards, Metrology and Quality Organization (SASO) developed the electronic platform for energy efficiency providing the possibility to start registering the street lighting products which fall within the scope of SASO 2927:2019 Part III.
In this context, SASO announced the following:
- Street lighting products that have been previously registered under SASO 2902:2018 and fall within the scope of SASO 2927/2019 can be upgraded online and transferred under SASO 2927:2019 without any additional fees after complying with the new requirements. The energy efficiency certificate will be valid for the same remaining period of the previous license.
- The energy efficiency label and licenses for lighting products already registered under SASO 2902 but falling within the scope of SASO 2927 will be valid only until the effective implementation date of SASO 2927 (May 31, 2020). The earliest these applications shall be upgraded is after completing the new requirements of SASO 2927.
- Street lighting products and control gear devices that fall within the scope of SASO 2927/2019 can no longer be registered under SASO 2902:2018 starting in April 2020.
In order to facilitate the registration process under the new standard SASO 2927, SASO allows the submission of test reports that meet all product requirements, except for survival factor and lumen maintenance test at 2,000 hours and corrosion test at 2500 hours until Dec. 31, 2020, with the following evidence:
- Provide a letter of commitment by the importer to submit the remaining test reports within 30 days from the test completion date through the electronic registration system (SLS).
- Submit proof of sample receipt from the laboratory showing the start and end date of the test.
It is worth mentioning that the new SASO Energy Efficiency standard for street lighting products, SASO 2927:2020, was published in July 2019 and will enter into force on June 1, 2020.