March 26, 2021
Original article date: March 26, 2021
Updated January 13, 2022 - revising "July 1, 2021" to "January 1, 2023"
Saudi Arabia announced the transition of SASO-IEC 60950-1 and SASO-IEC 60065 to SASO-IEC 62368-1:2020 (IEC 62368-1:2018 3.0 Edition).
Effective January 1, 2023, the Saudi Metrology and Quality Organization (SASO), will replace the two standards SASO-IEC 60950-1 and SASO-IEC 60065 with the standard SASO-IEC 62368-1:2020 (IEC 62368-1:2018 3.0 Edition ) for obtaining the SASO IECEE (SIRC) certificate and Saber Certified Body Certification of Conformity (CoC). The success of the IECEE CB scheme is also due to its popularity in the various worldwide marketplaces where CB test certificates and test reports are considered as proof of compliance with the safety requirements according to the IEC International Standards.
However, certifications for SASO-IEC 60950-1 and SASO-IEC 60065 that are issued before January 1, 2023 will be valid for one year from the date of issuance before they must transition to SASO-IEC 62368-1:2020 (IEC 62368-1:2018 3.0 Edition).
Product categories mandated to have SASO IECEE for market access to Saudi Arabia are:
- Mobile phones and tablets
- Mobile phone chargers and parts (wired, wireless plus car chargers)
- Mobile phone batteries and power banks
- Smart watches, smart bands
- Bluetooth headsets
- Computers and laptops
- Televisions, monitors and display sets
- Electronic smoking products
- Water pumps
- Solar photovoltaic products
- Lighting products
- Coffee makers
- Water kettle
- Video games (and accessories)
- Electrical oil fryers
- Electrical cables
- Water pumps with 5 hp and less
There are three approvals required for market access to Saudi Arabia depending on the product.
- IECEE Certificate is required for the products listed above. (needs IEC 62368-1:2018)
- Product certification of conformity (PCOC) is required for all electronic products in order to register through the SABER portal.
- Shipment certificate of conformity (SCOC) is required after getting PCOC. A separate SASO-IEC 62368-1:2020 (IEC 62368-1:2018 3.0 Edition ) is not required because the PCOC paperwork will be transferred over.
As a National Certification Body (NCB), UL supplies testing and certification expertise and, with Arabic speaking staff, we can offer localized expertise regarding SASO’s processes, online systems and requirements. UL also provides accepted templates for manufacturer’s and importer’s Declaration of Conformity required to obtain certification.
To prepare for these changes, contact a UL Global Market Access expert who can help guide you through the testing, certification and reporting process. Click here to learn more about how we can help make your market access easier.