February 11, 2021
The IECEE CB Scheme is the international system for collective acceptance of product safety test reports and certificates for electrical and electronic products, operating equipment and components. The Scheme is overseen by the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) System of Conformity Assessment Schemes for Electrotechnical Equipment and Components (IECEE). UL is an active member of the CB Scheme, with participating National Certification Bodies (NCB) in Canada, Denmark, Japan and the United States, as well as a large network of CB Testing Laboratories (CBTL) around the world.
A few key benefits of the CB Scheme:
- Simple access to international markets without the need for retesting
- CB certificates and test reports help to speed up the evaluation process and reduce costs
- One unified approach to safety for electrical equipment accepted by many countries around the world
- One document that confirms compliance to international harmonized safety standards, including national deviations for specific markets
- Facilitates acceptance of test reports for national certification in member countries and by numerous non-CB countries
- Facilitates customer’s international certifications using the completed CB Certificate (CBTC) and CB Test Report (CBTR)
The IECEE CB Scheme Process
When a customer applies to a NCB/CBTL for a CBTC and a CBTR, product samples and necessary documentation must accompany the application. The CBTL then conducts product tests and evaluations according to applicable IEC standards and the national deviations for the selected target countries. If the product is compliant:
- The CBTL issues a CBTR to the NCB
- NCB reviews the CBTR and issues a CBTC (with the CBTR) to the customer
- With the CBTC and CBTR, the customer will have access to:
- Regulatory agencies
- Other country marks
- Instill confidence to end-product users and buyers
What products fall under the CB Scheme?
The IECEE CB Scheme covers a wide range of products such as electrical medical equipment/systems, laboratory equipment, test and measurement equipment, information technology (ITE) and office equipment, domestic consumer electronics and appliances, lighting systems, and batteries. At UL, we support customers with all of these categories.
UL can issue the CBTR and CBTC for electrical medical equipment/systems based on the harmonized IEC 60601-1 standard and for laboratory and measuring equipment according to IEC 61010-1. The evaluation of compliance with these harmonized standards helps reduce costs associated with retesting, simplifies the process of meeting requirements, enables access to target markets, and reduces the complexity of documentation and testing.
UL CB Scheme testing capabilities
UL evaluates products to a large number of IEC standards, while considering any important national differences. We offer product testing at UL laboratories or at qualified customer facilities, which may be witnessed or supervised by UL staff. With our extensive CB Scheme scope of recognition and knowledgeable staff, we are able to assist customers with achieving global certifications quickly.
Get connected with our sales team
Thanks for your interest in our products and services. Let's collect some information so we can connect you with the right person.