We offer a variety of supplemental hazardous location training classes as well as customized training courses. These are introductory courses that touch on the basic safety regulations, protocols and terminology of hazardous locations. Follow this link to view a list of our standardized and advanced hazardous location training classes
For more information about our training programs, please visit our technical education and training page.
Supplemental hazardous area courses
Basics of Global Hazardous Locations Requirements
This workshop is an introductory overview or refresher of hazardous locations basics. You will learn the terminology associated with hazardous locations, including Classes, Divisions, Zones, Groups, temperature classifications and area classifications. An introduction to each of the protection concepts used in the design of equipment is provided. Installation requirements for North America are covered and compared to typical international requirements. The myriad product markings and certifications are reviewed and explained in detail, including North American Listings ATEX Certifications, IECEx System.
- How areas become classified and why hazardous locations are classified
- The terminology associated with area classifications, including Classes, Groups, Divisions, Zone, temperature classes, protection methods and more
- Examples of area classifications
- North American and international protection techniques for Divisions and Zones
- How to select the appropriate standard to meet certification requirements
- What products need to be certified and how to work with third parties to obtain those certifications
- Wiring methods and other installation concerns covered by the National Electrical Code (NEC) ®, Canadian Electrical Code (CEC) and basic international requirements
Introduction to Functional Safety
In this comprehensive, introductory workshop, you will learn the basic elements of functional safety and gain the knowledge needed to apply relevant standards effectively.
The ATEX Directive for Hazardous Locations
This course is a high-level introduction to the European Standards listed in the ATEX Directive for Hazardous Locations.
Hazardous Locations Intrinsic Safety Design Fundamentals
Electrical devices and systems considered intrinsically safe operate at an energy level deemed low enough to prevent arcs, sparks or heat, during normal or fault conditions, that could ignite a potentially explosive environment. In this comprehensive one-day workshop, you will learn about the latest requirements for intrinsically safe electrical products for hazardous locations (explosive atmospheres) applications. You will also learn about the numerous benefits associated with the use of intrinsically safe equipment as opposed to applying other protection techniques, such as explosion-proof enclosures. In addition, participants will learn that intrinsically safe products generally reduce installation costs and potentially lower material and production costs. Finally, you will understand how intrinsically safe equipment is suitable for use in Division 1 and Zone 0 classified locations.
- Apparatus construction
- Components on which intrinsic safety depends
- Infallible components, infallible assemblies of components and infallible connections
- Diode safety barriers
- Type verification and tests
- EAC/Russian Certification
- Nonelectrical requirements
- Private and/or custom on-site training
UL drives global research and standards to continually advance and meet ever-evolving product safety, performance and interoperability needs. UL’s global network of technical experts and state-of-the-art facilities, along with our long-standing relationships with regulatory authorities, partner laboratories and industry technical leaders, helps manufacturers gain the compliance credentials they need to compete in a more complex global supply chain.
About OCS Group
OCS is comprised of several respected engineering and consulting divisions serving the international oil and gas industry and other industrial markets. OCS Group is distinguished by developing innovative technology, providing premier services and managing industry first life cycle systems, saving clients time and money, while improving safety and regulatory compliance.