Meeting rigorous regulations for power tool performance and safety requires the right knowledge and expertise to help navigate critical certification challenges
The trends driving growth in the power tool and lawn and garden machinery market into the foreseeable future are many. They include demands for tools that are easy to operate, portable, battery-powered and more efficient than the power tools of the past. Some power tools are connected and can now be operated from an app on a mobile phone to enhance energy efficiency. So whether you want to capitalize on the cordless power tool trend or you have your sights set on landing your new robotic lawnmower in major markets – one thing is for certain: you better know what safety certifications and regulations you must meet first.
For manufacturers targeting global markets, it is more important than ever to choose the right power tool testing expert to guide you through the complexities of power tools compliance and certification.
Having your power tools tested by UL can help you streamline certification for:
- Drills, electric or battery-operated cordless
- Impact drivers
- Electric, motor-operated handheld tools
- Transportable tools
- Lawn and garden machinery, including gas combustion-powered and robotic mowers, leaf blowers, snowblowers
- Nail guns
- Soldering irons
Power tool testing experts available locally
Our customers rely on us to deliver the necessary knowledge, tools and training to get their innovations tested and certified to meet regulations anywhere in the world. Call on our field evaluation engineers for prototype reviews, product performance benchmarking and reliability testing to help you streamline your product development and certification cycle. We also help manufacturers develop safer tools with our preliminary investigation services which can help them identify issues throughout the product development cycle.
UL is uniquely qualified to help you understand and comply with international industry standards and regulations, including UL safety and International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) standards, such as the IEC 62841 series. Our experienced engineers evaluate your power tools to determine compliance with relevant global and regional safety regulations.
We stay by your side through the product development cycle, giving you a single source of dedicated support and expertise that you can leverage whenever needed. With a global footprint of accredited laboratories, we can test your products where you manufacture them, helping you facilitate faster access to major markets.
Our best-in-class capabilities for power tool manufacturers include:
- Safety testing and certification for North America access – We can evaluate your product for conformance to standards to that you can earn the UL Mark, which has global recognition and acceptance with code authorities.
- Battery and charger testing – We conduct performance and safety testing for all types of power tool batteries and chargers.
- CB report based on appropriate IECEE standard for worldwide access – UL is the most recognized issuer of IECEE CB Certificates.
- Energy efficiency requirements and testing – When your customers demand energy efficiency, we evaluate your power tool to determine if it complies with energy efficiency standards.
- Performance testing – We conduct performance testing throughout your power tool product development cycle.
- Smart connected tools services – Our engineers will test your power tool products for conformance to privacy and cybersecurity standards.
- Certification needs assessment – We’re here to assess which certifications you need and help you navigate the certification process.
- Commitment to answer questions quickly – Our responsive, on-call staff can lend engineering expertise to your staff anytime, anywhere you do business.