As a global leader in battery safety testing, we help battery product manufacturers gain fast, unrestricted access to the global market.
We not only test and certify batteries but also contribute to the development and international harmonization of industry safety and performance standards. For example, as a Cellular Telecommunications and Internet Association (CTIA) Authorized Test Laboratory (CATL), we can test and certify cell phone rechargeable battery products and systems to the CTIA Battery Certification Program.
- Industry leader: active involvement in industry and regulatory bodies
- Bespoke testing: custom testing meets your design-specific needs
- Complete service: compliance, research and risk management across the value chain
- Workforce training: learn to enhance safety, manage risk, and meet regulatory demands
Mobile devices have become essential tools for business and leisure. The safety, efficiency and reliability of the batteries that power cellphones and other devices play a key role in continued market growth. We offer more than 30 years’ experience in battery performance testing, helping to foster innovation, and boost confidence in quality.
We test and certify virtually every type of battery available — including lithium-ion battery cells and packs, chargers and adapters — to UL Standards as well as key international, national and regional regulations including:
- UL 1642 Lithium Cell
- UL 2054 Nickel Cell or Lithium/Nickel Packs
- UL 1989 Standby Batteries
- UL/CSA/IEC 60950 (may be evaluated in conjunction with UL 2054)
- UL/CSA/IEC 60065 (batteries used in audio and video equipment)
- IEC 60086-1 and IEC 60086-2 Non-rechargeable Performance
- IEC 60086-4 Non-rechargeable Lithium
- IEC 60086-5 Non-rechargeable Alkaline
- IEC 61951-2 and IEC 61951-2 Performance of Rechargeable Ni-Cd or Ni-MH
- IEC 61960 Performance of Rechargeable Lithium
- IEC 62133 First and Second Edition Rechargeable Nickel or Lithium
- Japan’s DENAN Ordinance Article 1 Appendix 9
- CTIA—IEEE 1625 and 1725
- Taiwan’s BSMI standards
- IATA/UN DOT/UN 38.3 T1-T8 (or IEC 62281)
Powering global market access
We help to simplify multiple market compliance by bundling product tests and certifications to meet all relevant national and regional market standards. Regardless of your location, we simplify the process, reduce administrative and project management costs and accelerate access to global markets.
Training and advisory services
Knowledge is power. At UL, we also believe power is meant to be shared. To promote a safer working environment, we offer effective online training to factory, assembly, maintenance, transportation and shipment workers across the entire battery value chain. Our training and consultancy also helps you to manage risk, meet regulatory demands, and keep up with the latest developments.