We are one of the world’s largest certifiers of industrial robot safety and have been evaluating robotic applications since their early introduction on factory floors. As industrial robotics continue to gain popularity on a global scale, we’ll continue to help ensure that they meet the highest standards for safety, reliability and performance.
As advancements in robotic technology have drastically shifted in the last few decades, our mission has become even more important. Unlike the caged and confined applications of their predecessors, many industrial robots these days are interacting side-by-side with personnel and end users.
With that in mind, safety certification and compliance are our top priorities. We have a team of machinery and functional safety experts with a broad range of experience in consumer and industrial applications, including automotive, medical, personal care, pharmaceutical, agriculture and mining. They offer robotics equipment services ranging from advisory and testing services to inspection and certification. By customizing these offerings, we can tailor a solution that fits your specific needs.
Ultimately, our goal is to make sure that your machines and systems perform in the way that you expect them to. We’ll do that by confirming compliance to the following safety considerations and international regulations:
- American National Standards Institutes (ANSI)/UL 1740
- ANSI/Robotic Industries Association (RIA) R15.06
- CAN/Canadian Standards Association (CSA) Z434
- International Organization for Standardization (ISO) 10218
- ISO 13482
- International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) 61508
- IEC 62061
Areas of expertise
We provide testing and certification services for the following robotic equipment and systems:
- Automatic guided vehicles (AGVs)
- Axis limiting and control devices
- Collaborative robots (Cobots)
- Delta/PKR robots
- Grippers/end effectors
- Linear robots
- Multiaxis articulated robots
- Pendants (including wireless types)
- Personal care robots
- Storage and retrieval systems
- Welding equipment
UL customer-centered services for robotics offer a unique range of benefits that add value to your product, your brand and your company, including:
- The UL Mark is a well-recognized global symbol of safety, and boosts trust and confidence in your product. Our 30 years of experience in robotics certification and our participation in the Robotics Industries Association (RIA) –specifically RIA R15.06–gives us a unique understanding of what is required, as does our longstanding relationship with Authorities Having Jurisdiction (AHJs).
- The UL robotics equipment service spectrum ranges across advisory services and testing to inspection and certification. We can tailor a solution that fits your needs.
- For over 120 years, expert UL engineers have delivered valuable insight into the current landscape and future of technology, regulations and markets trends.
- By working with the same engineer throughout the entire certification process, you gain peace of mind that comes from knowing that your products, tests and objectives are in the hands of an expert who knows you well.
- Consolidating all your product testing and certification needs with a single global organization creates significant efficiencies and a greater return on your compliance investment. UL can provide you with global coverage from EMC or fire and shock testing to performance verification.
We offer pre-certification testing and bundled certifications to help expand your market presence while lowering your costs.
Since 1894, our engineers have delivered valuable insight into the current and future landscape of technology, regulations and markets trends. We actively participate in the RIA — specifically RIA R15.06 — and we have a long-standing relationship with authorities having jurisdiction (AHJs), giving us a unique understanding of what is required in regards to testing and certification.
Consolidating all of your certification needs with a single organization that understand the robotics industry ensures that you’ll make the most of your time with us. We offer precertification testing and bundled certifications to help expand your market presence while lowering your costs. That’s how we help you achieve what’s possible, and that’s what sets us apart.