Tall buildings need elevators to move people and goods safely, so the certification of elevators systems, subsystems and equipment remains crucial. In today’s culture of safety, elevator manufacturers around the world are tasked with meeting multiple code requirements, which can be challenging. Our experts can help assist you in navigating through the various regulatory agencies and code requirements necessary to help ensure that your equipment is in compliance with applicable requirements, a critical component in gaining market access.
Working with UL, a trusted third-party certifier, provides the following benefits:
- Increases competitive advantage - Our elevator program is accepted in all regions of North America.
- Mitigates risks - Our structured methodology helps you establish, document and demonstrate that you have taken the necessary protective measures to minimize hazards.
- Maximizes efficiency - Working with us helps prevent rework that can result in delays and extra cost.
- Increases acceptance - The UL Mark by is accepted by regulatory authorities in every jurisdiction in the United States and Canada.
- Provides expert consulting - We share our expert knowledge through technical training, workshops and advisory services.
We continue to be one of the world’s largest certifiers for elevator systems, subsystems and equipment. Our global team of electrical, machinery, functional safety and cybersecurity experts bring together extensive experience to deliver certification for commercial and residential elevators systems and equipment.
We conduct certification investigations of elevator systems and equipment based on the requirements of the Safety Code for Elevators and Escalators, ASME A17.1/CSA B44 and in accordance with Article 620 of the National Electric Code, NFPA 70.
We provide testing and certification services for the following product categories:
- Elevator control panels
- Elevator control panels for use in hazardous locations
- Elevator control panels relating to hazardous locations (intended for installation in unclassified locations)
- Elevator controls and accessories
- Elevator door-locking devices and contacts
- Elevator door-locking devices
- Contacts for use in hazardous locations
- Elevator switches
- Passenger elevator car enclosures
In addition to the certification for elevator systems and equipment, we have established a certification program for elevator and escalator systems, subsystems, components and functions. This certification program allows manufacturers to have elevator systems and equipment not specified in ASME A17.1/CSA B44 to be investigated by a single certifier using requirements in the ASME A17.7/CSA B44.7, Performance-based Safety Code for Elevators and Escalators.
This American National Standards Institute (ANSI) accredited program facilitates acceptance by code authorities and helps them focus on verifying that systems are installed in a safe, code compliant manner.