In the past, equipment operating above 600 volts (V) was generally considered to be under the control of the local serving utility. Recently, the responsibility for the installation and maintenance of electrical distribution has shifted from utilities to the site or building owner. This shift has caused an expansion in the requirements of the National Electrical Code (NEC) and National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) 70, as well as increased responsibility for local authorities having jurisdiction (AHJ).
If you’re a building owner who now has the responsibility of meeting these requirements, it can seem like a quite a challenge. How do you keep up and comply with the latest regulations in an ever-evolving industry?
Fortunately, we’ve designed a service to help you do that. We provide testing and certification services to cover all types of medium voltage distribution equipment. Receiving UL certification is an effective way to satisfy insurance requirements and to help ensure a code-compliant installation.
Areas of Expertise
Testing and certification services for medium voltage distribution equipment includes:
- Circuit breakers and metal-clad switchgear greater than 1,000 V
- Circuit breakers, medium voltage, certified for use in specified equipment
- Medium-voltage junction boxes
- Switchgear, gas-insulated type, greater than 1,000 V
- Switchgear, metal enclosed, greater than 1,000 V
- Unit substations greater than 600 V
- Arc-mitigation equipment
- Circuit-breaker switchgear, metal enclosed, greater than 1,000 V
- Grounding equipment, neutral grounding devices greater than 600 V
- Switches, load interrupter and isolating, and load-interrupter switchgear, greater than 1,000 V
- Switchgear greater than 1,000 V
- Switchgear greater than 1,000 V certified to International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) publications
- Switchgear, pad mounted, subsurface and vault greater than 1,000 V
- Bus pipe, insulated
- Busways, metal enclosed, greater than 600 V
- Transfer switches greater than 1,000 V
In addition to the UL Mark for North America, we can assist in evaluating your equipment to IEC standards, which is necessary to expand and access global markets. Plus, regulatory authorities around the world are familiar with our brand, which helps your equipment achieve higher levels of acceptance and expedites time to market.
We are experts at evaluating electrical distribution products for safety and reliability. Our proven expertise in safety science and engineering has made us one of the leading standards development organizations for electrical distribution equipment in the world. We’ve made it our priority to have our finger on the pulse of the electrical distribution industry. With technical representation on every National Electrical Code Making Panel out there, we are keenly aware of code-related developments and how they relate to current product standards. Plus, our membership in several industry associations and international standards working groups, which include various manufacturers and regulatory officials, keeps us up-to-date on the latest industry news.
Deliver truth in advertising when it matters most
Trust makes your brand stand above the competition. Buyers today demand transparency from brands. UL helps you cut through marketplace noise and differentiate your brand by verifying the accuracy of marketing claims.
UL Product iQ available now
The next generation of UL’s online certification directory enables you to quickly and efficiently access the same trusted UL certification information in a modern search engine.