Sign up for What’s New here by selecting “Join Email List” to receive email notifications twice a month listing the various UL, UL Environment and ULC Standards documents published during that time frame.
UL 153 — Portable Electric Luminaires
A new proposal covering locking type attachment plug configurations was circulated for Standards Technical Panel (STP) ballot Jan. 25, 2019, with a closing date of Feb. 25. The proposal did not reach consensus.
UL 676 — Underwater Luminaires and Submersible Junction Boxes
A new set of 10 proposal topics have been circulated for STP ballot, opening in Collaborative Standards Development System (CSDS) April 26, 2019, closing June 10. The following topics are addressed in the proposals:
1. Scope clarifications for nonmetallic forming shells and junction boxes
2. Lens guards
3. Installation instructions related to flexible cords
4. Electric shock test luminaire constant (N)
5. Gasket testing
6. Luminaires mounted within 18 inches of the water level
7. Submersible luminaires — applicable clauses from part I
8. Cycling underwater test
9. Number of required grounding connections for submersible junction boxes
10. Editorial corrections and adjustments
UL 879 — Electric Sign Components
The current edition of UL 879, the Standard for Electric Sign Components, is under ballot to reaffirm its status as an American National Standard (ANS). The ballot opened in CSDS on April 12, 2019, closing May 27.
UL 924 — Emergency Lighting and Power Equipment
A survey was circulated to the STP soliciting feedback on several new, conceptual ideas for changes to the Standard. Depending on the input received in response to the survey, the topics may eventually be developed into new standard proposals. Any new proposals will follow the normal standards consensus process.
UL 1598 — Luminaires (Tri-National Standard)
Several new proposals have been received and are being compiled in preparation for the next revision cycle to begin. A call for proposals was circulated; new proposals were submitted in February 2019.
The technical harmonization committee is reviewing the complete set of proposals in preparation for STP preliminary and public review.
UL 1993 — Self-Ballasted Lamps and Lamp Adapters
A series of 20 new proposals are currently under review by the technical harmonization committee in preparation for the revision cycle, which is targeted for initiation in Q2 2019.
UL 8750 — Light Emitting Diode (LED) Equipment for Use in Lighting Products
A new, 10-topic proposal was circulated for preliminary STP review with comments due Jan. 11, 2019. Comments received were considered, and the STP ballot opened April 19, 2019, closing June 3. The new set of proposals includes the following topics:
1. Required spacings for wiring terminals
2. New supplement for Type IC LED drivers
3. Special use LED arrays
4. LVLE circuits
5. Temperature-coded LED arrays
6. Grounding and bonding
7. Class 2 circuits
8. Output loading- Output short circuit
9. Markings and product specification sheet
10. Supplement SG — Temperature value at TC point