UL Fact Finding Study on Powering Over Data Cable
Evaluating for limited power (LP) cable designation
As power increases, the heat generated within a cable increases as well. This is especially true when cables are bundled. The additional heat generated by the increased current could push the cables beyond their rated temperatures.
To address this concern, we have introduced a Limited Power (LP) Certification to simplify cable choice and installation considerations. The LP cable designation indicates that the cable has been evaluated to carry the marked current under reasonable worst-case installation scenarios without exceeding the temperature rating of the cable. The certification takes into account large bundle sizes, high ambient temperatures and other issues related to environmental effects, such as enclosed spaces or conduits.
Learn more from the UL Solutions fact-finding study on powering over data cables.
Distinguish your LP cable with UL certification
Our certification provides an uncomplicated way to help ensure installations are ready for the increasing power levels and are not susceptible to safety issues caused by excessive heat generation. This simplifies installation planning. The test-based requirements also allow for innovation in cable design. Cables are distinguished with an industry recognized and trusted UL certification Mark. This helps ensure compliance and reduces risk to all stakeholders in the supply chain.
Why UL Solutions for limited power cable certification
- Our compliance system helps ensure compliance and reduce liability and risk across the entire supply chain.
- UL Solutions' Follow-up Services helps manufacturers gain a competitive edge based on quality, reputation and service, making it more difficult for manufacturers that produce counterfeit or inferior products to survive.
- Our long-standing history in certification and standards development makes us a trusted thought leader in the compliance arena. Stakeholders rely on us for research, knowledge and technical solutions to address safety issues and advise on new technologies.
- Comprehensive factory and market surveillance programs help ensure a more compliant supply chain and reduce the risk and costs associated with sub-standard and unsafe products. This work helps protect brand reputation and the integrity of the UL Mark.
- Our fully dedicated Global Security and Brand Protection team works with authorities and global customs agencies on anti-counterfeiting measures.
- The use of the holographic label system sets us apart by establishing a unique identifier for customs, regulators, buyers, retailers and consumers.
- Some product categories have the option for an additional on-demand promotional opportunity to include a direct link to your company website, product page, brochure, data sheet or flyer through UL iQ™ databases.
- We offer global testing and certification solutions for acceptance in North America, Latin America, Europe, Middle East and Asia.
- We continue to evolve our capabilities and services to meet your increasing needs. Our goal is to help you rapidly develop and launch safer, superior products and meet the shifting requirements of a changing world.