Firefighters have no margin for error, so they can’t afford to gamble on the reliability of their equipment. According to the U.S. Fire Administration, the U.S. fire service has suffered more than 100 on-duty firefighter fatalities on average over the last 10 years.
That’s why we offer testing services that take the guesswork out of fire equipment safety and performance. We evaluate a variety of equipment for compliance with the requirements of the appropriate National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) standards, or with the requirements of the appropriate standards.
Testing at the manufacturing facility:
- NFPA® 1901 Automotive Fire Apparatus
- NFPA® 1931 Design and Design Verification Tests for Fire Department Ground Ladders
- CAN/ULC-S515-04 Automobile Fire Fighting Apparatus
Testing of equipment in service:
- NFPA® 1911 Standard for the Inspection, Maintenance, Testing, and Retirement of In-Service Automotive Fire Apparatus (current edition)
- Chapter 21 Performance Testing of Fire Pumps, Wildland, Ultra-high Pressure and Industrial Supply Pumps
- Chapter 22 Performance Testing of Aerial Devices
- NFPA 1932 Standard on Use, Maintenance, and Service Testing of In-Service
- Fire Department Ground Ladders (current edition)
- Includes horizontal bending, hardware and roof hook tests
In addition to fire equipment testing, we offer a full range of testing and certification services for personal protective equipment, such as gloves, boots, safety shoes, helmets, garments and protective eyewear, to certify compliance with NFPA and CAN/CSA standards.
We offer the most comprehensive fire equipment tests using advanced testing methods and state-of-the-art equipment.
Proper functioning of fire equipment is critical for the successful operation of all fire departments and is vitally important to the safety of firefighters. We offer the most comprehensive fire equipment evaluations in the industry. Our testing not only determines compliance with all applicable standards, it can give you greater confidence in the reliability of your firefighting equipment. The UL Mark on fire equipment increases trust in the operational reliability of your fire department and boosts your chances for obtaining additional Homeland Security funding.
Proper functioning of fire equipment not only contributes to a higher level of safety for firefighters, it also increases trust in a department’s operational reliability.
- Standards development – For more than 30 years, we have set the standard for fire equipment evaluations. We have developed more than 70 standards covering fire equipment and are widely represented on NFPA standards committees for fire equipment and personal protective equipment.
- Highly educated and well-trained staff – Every UL evaluation is conducted by expert staff members who are certified Level II technicians to the American Society of Nondestructive Testing (ASNT) guidelines.
- Wide spectrum and thorough service – We offer the most comprehensive fire equipment evaluations available today. Our expert testing and certification programs cover all types of fire equipment. Our thoroughness is unmatched. We evaluate all types of fire equipment for compliance with applicable requirements in the appropriate NFPA standards. Upon successfully complying with the requirements, we issue a certificate of compliance (CoC) in accordance with applicable NFPA standards.
- Brand recognition and integrity – No other fire equipment testing organization in the United States has the same level of association with product safety, integrity and quality. We have more than a century of expertise in the fire industry and have a long-established reputation within the industry for independent, objective and highly respected product testing.
- Convenience and specialized testing equipment – Our fire equipment testing services involve evaluation of sample new equipment at the manufacturer’s facility before it’s delivered to your department, as well as evaluation of representative in-service equipment at your fire station. We have a fleet of fully equipped vans and mobile testing laboratories located throughout the United States to test fire equipment at local fire departments.
- Competitive price – Our services are offered at competitive prices and include travel and living expenses. The expertise of our staff and our state-of-the-art testing equipment mean that we deliver our testing services effectively and efficiently.