December 13, 2016
The European Commission (EC) has launched public consultations on several restrictions being proposed for chemicals used in cosmetics.
The consultations are:
- Cosmetic Products Regulation (HC Orange No. 6 (B125)): Commission to Consider Authorization
- This draft measure aims to give authorization for the use of HC Orange No. 6 (B125) when used in non-oxidative hair colouring products at a maximum concentration of 0.5%.
- When approved, this will amend Annex III to Regulation (EC) No 1223/2009/EC (the Cosmetic Products Regulation)
- HC Orange No. 6 (B125) has a chemical name Di-[2-[(E)- 2-[4-[bis(2-hydroxyethyl)aminophenyl]vinyl]pyridin-1-ium]-ethyl]disulphide dimethanesulfonate (CAS 1449653-83-1)
- Basic description: HC Orange No. 6 (B125) is a dye substance used as a colouring agent in non-oxidative hair dye formulations
- Public consultation: November 16, 2016 to January 10, 2017
- Public consultation on 2-Furaldehyde (Furfural) – in the framework of Regulation (EC) No 1223/2009 on cosmetic products
- This draft measure aims to allow the use of Furfural at a maximum concentration of 0.001% in ready for use cosmetic products.
- This will amend Annex III to the Cosmetic Products Regulation, which includes a list of substances allowed in cosmetics with restrictions, by adding a new entry.
- Basic description: Furfural is used in cosmetic products as a perfumery ingredient.
- Public consultation: November 17, 2016 to February 20, 2017
- Call for data on ingredients: Salts of O-Phenylphenol (Sodium O-Phenylphenate, Potassium O Phenylphenate and MEA O-Phenylphenate)
- This draft measure aims to provide further restriction on the use of o-Phenylphenol salts (Sodium o-Phenylphenate, Potassium o-Phenylphenate and MEA O-Phenylphenate) in cosmetic products.
- Current limit of this chemical is at a maximum concentration of 0.2% (as phenol) in finished cosmetic products.
- Public consultation: November 11, 2016 to February 15, 2017
Source URL: Public Consultation on 2-Furaldehyde (Furfural)