Power capabilities of information and communication technology (ICT) power cables are rising to meet the demand for faster charging and powering devices of higher wattage. However, users may not be aware of the potential risks of overheating and fire due to the use of poorly constructed cables. These cables may be made of substandard materials with inferior thermal and flame resistant properties, or the connector design may not meet the specifications. In addition, the wiring may not be properly terminated at the connector or the assembly is not suitable for carrying the required current.
To address the potential safety hazards of these cables, we developed an Information and Communication Technology (ICT) Power Cable Certification program specifically for cable assemblies that provide data transmission and power or charging for connected equipment in a circuit that does not exceed 60 V DC, 8.0 A and 100 W.
The program addresses the safety concerns of ICT power cables through the control of connector/cable materials' electrical design by performing testing in accordance with newly published Outline UL 9990.
The program consists of a comprehensive factory inspection and market surveillance to help ensure ongoing compliance of the cable assemblies. This is particularly beneficial when the data cables have already been evaluated to the pertinent industry performance specifications for the particular configuration of connectors that govern their design and performance criteria.
- Our compliance system helps ensure compliance and reduce liability and risk across the entire supply chain.
- UL’s Follow-up Services helps manufacturers gain a competitive edge based on quality, reputation and service, making it more difficult for manufacturers that produce counterfeit or inferior products to survive.
- Our long-standing history in certification and standards development makes us a trusted thought leader in the compliance arena. Stakeholders rely on us for research, knowledge and technical solutions to address safety issues and advise on new technologies.
- Comprehensive factory and market surveillance programs help ensure a more compliant supply chain and reduce the risk and costs associated with sub-standard and unsafe products. This work helps protect brand reputation and the integrity of the UL Mark.
- Our fully dedicated Global Security and Brand Protection team works with authorities and global customs agencies on anti-counterfeiting measures.
- The use of the holographic label system sets us apart by establishing a unique identifier for customs, regulators, buyers, retailers and consumers.
- Some product categories have the option for an additional on-demand promotional opportunity to include a direct link to your company website, product page, brochure, data sheet or flyer through UL iQ™ databases.
- We offer global testing and certification solutions for acceptance in North America, Latin America, Europe, Middle East and Asia.
- We continue to evolve our capabilities and services to meet your increasing needs. Our goal is to help you rapidly develop and launch safer, superior products and meet the shifting requirements of a changing world.
UL: Powering and charging safety for retailers
Watch how UL tests and certifies charging cables, and then contact us to learn more.