National, regional, city and other municipality regulatory requirements establish that building gas-fired and electrical products be certified or evaluated by a recognized third party before they can be approved for use. For products that do not have a certification or have been modified in the field, a UL Field Evaluation accomplishes this required evaluation. This process is for products that are already installed or destined for installation at a designated end use site.
A field evaluation is a process whereby products that do not have a certification acceptable to the Authority Having Jurisdiction (AHJ), owner or other regulatory body can be evaluated to the applicable product safety standard(s) for the specific application and location where the product is being utilized. The process includes construction inspection for use of components, assembly and limited nondestructive testing to complete the assessment.
The majority of installed equipment is eligible for the field evaluation service. The most commonly field-evaluated products are:
- Industrial control panels (ICP)
- Automated manufacturing, assembly and packaging equipment
- Semiconductor fabrication equipment
- Luminaires, signs and display cabinets
- Switchboards, panelboards and motor control centers
- Automatic guided vehicles (AGVs), intelligent assist devices (IADs), and robots and robotic equipment
- Heating and cooling equipment
- Fire doors and frames
- Commercial cooking and food service equipment
- Distributed generation equipment
The UL Mark is the most widely recognized and accepted third party certification mark in North America, giving products the surest route to product acceptance by authorities, regulators and vendors. UL uses only full-time qualified engineering staff to complete field evaluations. Because UL is the standards making body for most of the North American product safety standards, field staff have direct access to the Primary Designated Engineers (subject matter experts) and UL Research Engineers when technical support is needed.
- UL provides greater value by offering competitively priced services with maximum return on your compliance investment.
- UL's reputation for excellence gives customers a higher level of confidence that the product meets all safety requirements.
- To meet your deadline, UL can provide next day service for most product categories and will coordinate with you and the local AHJ to meet your deadline.
- UL Field Evaluation Services has a worldwide network of staff to fulfill customers' needs at the point of manufacturing as well as the final installation site.
- Put UL's experience and geographic coverage to work – we offer fast turnaround to enable the required evaluations for your products backed by the acknowledged technical expertise of UL.