Verified Ventilation and Filtration Mark Sell Sheet
Introducing UL Verified Ventilation and Filtration program, an independent science-based marketing claim evaluation that helps building owners and operators manage and communicate performance for aerosol removal to improve air quality.
UL Verified Ventilation and Filtration
The first marketing claim evaluation program specifically focused on aerosol removal in the built environment
First verification for aerosol removal
UL Solutions’ Verified Ventilation and Filtration program is the first marketing claim evaluation program for aerosol removal in the built environment, powered by SafeTraces.
Infectious aerosols such as SARS-CoV-2, influenza and the common cold represent a major threat to public health and safety due to their high transmissibility and their ability to remain airborne for hours and migrate beyond 25 feet in indoor environments.1 According to the National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH), inadequate ventilation is the largest source of indoor air quality risk, including airborne pathogens.2 However, building owners and operators have historically lacked the capability to verify, manage, and communicate real world ventilation and filtration performance for aerosol removal in occupied space due to limitations in field assessment tools.
UL Solutions’ Verified Ventilation and Filtration program is an assessment and rating program to combine a comprehensive desktop review with field verification of ventilation and filtration performance powered by SafeTraces’ patented aerosol tracing technology, which measures the combined impact of outdoor air ventilation, filtration or air cleaning technologies on HVAC recirculated air, and air cleaning technologies within the space.3
At a time when polling indicates that 89% of employees have health concerns about returning to the office, UL Solutions’ Verified Ventilation and Filtration program offers building owners and operators an independent, science-based evaluation with the opportunity to support their claim with a Verification Mark.4
Measuring aerosol removal to enhance health, safety and wellness
Existing field assessment tools fail to effectively and accurately measure ventilation and filtration performance for aerosol removal because they do not use an aerosol-based methodology. Developed with National Institutes of Health (NIH) support, SafeTraces’ diagnostic platform for field verification of ventilation and filtration performance for aerosol removal in shared occupancy spaces leverages patented DNA-tagged aerosol tracers that safely simulate respiratory emissions and exposures to airborne pathogens.
- Desktop review – Ventilation and filtration performance evaluated based on a building’s design, HVAC system specifications and other key building data.
- Field evaluation – Ventilation and filtration performance evaluated in high-density areas with SafeTraces’ patented aerosol tracing technology.
- Verified Mark – Building owner and operator is issued a UL Marketing Claim Verification Mark if a building achieves a target rate of aerosol removal based on official guidance and infectious disease science.
Return on investment
- Health and safety
- Reduce aerosol exposures and infection risk
- Increase public trust, confidence and peace of mind
- Meet evolving compliance and code requirements
- Reduce risk of absenteeism, shutdowns, and adverse impacts to productivity
- Maintain occupancy and leasing levels
- Optimize spend on ventilation and filtration systems
- Reduce energy and carbon penalties from ventilation and filtration
- Meet environmental, social, and governance (ESG), net zero, and decarbonization goals