Understanding Proposition 65
Demonstrating compliance can be a daunting task for manufacturers and retailers selling their products in California. With nearly 900 listed chemicals of concern in the Proposition 65 list of chemicals, frequent changes to the list and varying thresholds by product and substance, manufacturers need expertise and precision testing to meet Proposition 65 requirements and avoid potential fees and litigation.
Your benefits with our Prop 65 compliance services
Manufacturers and retailers that sell in California need to perform due diligence to determine if products require Proposition 65 labeling. Our stakeholders rely on our toxicology and chemical testing expertise to help assess their risk of having chemicals of concern in their products.
- Product line and supply chain assessment: We will review raw material and component supply chains to determine the likelihood that chemicals of concern may be present. We make recommendations on supplier requirements and test programs to help monitor the presence of listed chemicals and mitigate risk in the supply chain.
- Chemical emissions testing: We use dynamic environmental chamber technology to detect and measure the chemicals that a product emits, providing measurable, verifiable data — the first step in meeting Proposition 65 requirements.
- Chemical testing: Our global laboratories conduct testing for the chemicals listed within the Proposition 65 regulation in products and raw materials.
- Exposure assessments: For products that include one or more listed compounds, our technical experts can perform an exposure assessment. An exposure assessment evaluates how much of a substance a person inhales, ingests or absorbs through the skin. Our product toxicology experts work with manufacturers to determine reasonable usage of their products to assess if exposure above the safe harbor level is likely.
- Safe harbor level development: For chemicals that do not have a safe harbor level established by the state of California, our toxicology experts can develop a reference level for use in the exposure assessment.
Do your products require a label under the Proposition 65 regulation? Safer products are paramount to long-term business success, a strong brand and happy, loyal consumers. Protect your brand, differentiate your products, mitigate risk, and demonstrate your commitment to the safety and health of your consumers with our Prop 65 Compliance solutions.
Comply with California's Prop 65 through our expertise
By working with us to conduct Prop 65 testing, manufacturers demonstrate they offer safer, sustainable products. They also benefit from testing and evaluation by a third party trusted by green- and health-conscious buyers. We have the expertise and capabilities to offer complete assessment, evaluation, testing and recommendation services.