UL’s ISTA packaging tests assess the security of goods during transport. We test a variety of packaging for products, such as glassware, household and premium items, medical devices, ready-to-assemble furniture, apparel and other furnishings. Our ISTA Certified Testing Laboratories in Italy, China and the U.S. use vibration, impact, drop and temperature testing to mimic real-life transportation conditions and gauge the likelihood of goods being damaged during transit.
Our ISTA packaging tests can help reduce costs associated with product loss, such as breakage and damage, that can occur during shipping. Early product testing can help mitigate these problems and avoid potential losses that may cost more to remediate later in the development cycle.
Ensuring that your packages are secure throughout their transportation journey may also decrease customer complaints and reduce replacement claims from retailers who received damaged goods.
In addition, UL’s ISTA packaging tests provide the documentation and test reports necessary for your packaging to receive the “ISTA® Transit Tested Certification Mark.” This certification can help you and your retailers have confidence that your products will arrive intact and undamaged.
Our ISTA Certified Testing Laboratory performs rigorous testing on your product packaging to help ensure its durability as it relates to transit. These tests provide the appropriate documentation for your product packaging to receive the “ISTA® Transit Tested Certification Mark.” This certification will give you and your retailers increased confidence that your goods will arrive undamaged.
- ISTA 1 Series Non-Simulation Integrity Performance Tests
- Procedure 1A Packaged-Products weighing 150 lb (68 kg) or Less
- Procedure 1B Packaged-Products weighing over 150 lb (68 kg)
- Procedure 1C Extended Testing for Individual Packaged-Products weighing 150 lb (68 kg) or Less
- Procedure 1D Extended Testing for Individual Packaged-Products weighing Over 150 lb (68 kg)
- Procedure 1E Unitized Loads
- Procedure 1G Packaged-Products weighing 150 lb (68 kg) or Less (Random Vibration) *
- Procedure 1H Packaged-Products weighing Over 150 lb (68 kg) (Random Vibration) *
- ISTA 2 Series Partial Simulation Performance Tests
- Procedure 2A Packaged-Products weighing 150 lb (68 kg) or Less
- Procedure 2B Packaged-Products weighing over 150 lb (68 kg)
- Procedure 2C Furniture Packages *
- ISTA 3 Series General Simulation Performance Tests
- Procedure 3A Packaged-Products for Parcel Delivery System Shipment weighing 70kg (150 lb) or Less *
- Procedure 3B Packaged-Products for Less-Than-Truckload (LTL) Shipment *
- Procedure 3E Similar Packaged-Products in Unitized Loads for Truckload Shipment *
- Procedure 3F Packaged-Products in Mixed Pallet Loads for Regional Shipment, 100 lb (45 kg) or Less *
- Procedure 3K Fast-Moving Consumer Goods in the European Retail Supply Chain *
- ISTA 4 Series Enhanced Simulation Performance Tests
- Procedure 4AB Project: Packaged-Products for Shipment in Known Distribution Channels *
- ISTA 6 Series Member Performance Tests
- Project 6-SAMSCLUB, Packaged-Products for Sam’s Club® Distribution System Shipment
- Project 6-AMAZON.com-Over Boxing Project: e-Commerce Fulfillment for Parcel Delivery Shipment *
- Project 6-AMAZON.com-SIOC Project: Ships in Own Container (SIOC) for Amazon.com Distribution System Shipment *
- Project 6-FedEx-A FedEx-Procedures for Testing Packaged Products Weighing Up to 150 lb (domestic and international) *
- Project 6-FedEx-B FedEx-Procedures for Testing Packaged Products Weighing More Than 150 lb (domestic and international) *
- ISTA 7 Series Development Tests
- Procedure 7D Thermal Controlled Transport Packaging for Parcel Delivery System Shipment
* Services available only in U.S. and China