Our Marking and Labeling Systems program
UL Solutions' Marking and Labeling Systems program covers labels and related products that have been submitted to UL Solutions for evaluation in accordance with prescribed permanence of marking requirements. These labels are then used to display required safety information on UL Certified products.
Many label printers utilize UL Solutions' label adoption process to reduce costs and time of obtaining UL Certification for Marking and Labeling System. This process involves utilizing previous recognized label materials such as label stocks, laminating adhesives and overlaminates. However, a label printer typically needs to provide printed samples to UL Solutions to determine compatibility of their printing inks with specific label materials, unless that combination was previously evaluated by the material supplier.
UL Solutions' ink certification program allows ink suppliers, such as flexographic, screen, ink jet, etc., to evaluate their inks for use with specific label materials and conditions of acceptability. The inks are intended for use by label printers (converters) in fabricating finished printed adhesive-attached labels. The benefit of the ink certification can be passed along to label printers during label adoption process to decrease time-to-market and reduce redundant testing.
This ink certification services provide a means for ink suppliers to independently and objectively demonstrate to converters that their inks meet the applicable requirements specified in UL 969, Standard for Marking and Labeling Systems and related requirements, such as CSA-C22.2 No. 0.15, "Adhesive Labels." Inks that are found to meet UL Solutions requirements are published as “Marking and Labeling Systems – Materials” (category code: PGGU2) which covers various products that are intended for use by label printers and converters in fabricating finished printed labels.
This certification program allows ink manufacturers to be in better control of UL Certified Ink distribution ensuring suitable pigments are being used. Certified inks can be found through UL Solutions' Product iQ Certification database under the ink manufacturer’s name and own file.
Benefits of ink certification for marking and labeling systems
Benefits of ink certification include:
- Providing a means for ink suppliers to independently and objectively demonstrate to converters that their inks meet the applicable requirements specified in UL 969, Standard for Marking and Labeling Systems and other similar standards (CSA, IEC, BS).
- Enhancing supply chain integrity by putting the ink manufacturer in control of UL Certified Ink distribution, ensuring proper pigments are being used
- A more wholistic testing program to confirm all pigments in a series are suitable for specific uses.
- Ink certification would be accessible to the public through UL Solutions' listing information service under the ink manufacturer’s name and own file.
- The label printers/converter who uses a specific combination of certified ink and label stock could adopt this combination under the “no test” option.
Start your ink certification process
Getting started with the ink certification is easy. UL Solutions' global sales and engineering teams are available to assist and answer your questions along the way. UL Solutions will work with you to help build a plan and provide path to certification.