The UL Lightning Protection System Personnel Certification Program is designed to provide individuals an opportunity to set themselves apart with a credential focused on the critical knowledge and skills required as a part of the lightning protection systems industry. The goal of this personnel certification is to improve the safety and performance of lightning protection systems through a more qualified workforce.
This examination covers requirements from UL 96A Installation Requirements for Lightning Protection Systems and NFPA 780 Standard for the Installation of Lightning Protection Systems. The purpose of this examination is to certify individuals in a body of knowledge that is identified and accepted by UL as the baseline or foundation needed to safely and properly install lightning protection systems.
To receive the UL Certified Lightning Protection System Installer credential and recognition, an individual must pass the Lightning Protection System Installer Certification Exam, complete a 10-hour OSHA construction safety course and be a qualified electrician or have experience as a lightning protection system installer. Hands-on experience or equivalent knowledge includes: installing, building, repairing, troubleshooting, diagnosing, verifying and performing tasks involved in lightning protection system installation work that is either residential or, industrial or involves commercial buildings and structures.
The Lightning Protection System Installer Certification exam is a three-hour open book exam consisting of 100 questions. Individuals must score 80% or higher to pass the exam. The examination is computer based and is available at over 550 locations throughout the United States.
Find an exam location.
Download the detailed exam study guide.
Download the exam application form.
To register, submit the completed certification exam application and registration fee to [email protected]. If you do not qualify for the exam, the examination fee ($300) will be refunded (the $25 application fee is non-refundable).
Individuals who take the exam must meet at least one of the following qualification requirements:
- Be a qualified electrical professional, or
- Have 3 or more years of experience in the lightning protection system installation field, or
- Successfully complete a UL Lightning Protection System course
All applicants must complete a 10-hour OSHA Construction Safety course prior to receiving certification. Most applicants complete the course before applying to take the certification exam.
Access to the online examination at a scheduled testing center will be provided to you on the day of the exam.
The examination is open book. You may bring a calculator and print copies of standard UL 96A Installation Requirements for Lightning Protection Systems and NFPA 780 Standard for the Installation of Lightning Protection Systems.
Please note that these standards are not provided at the testing centers and it is your responsibility to obtain these standards if desired for use during the examination.
Standards may be purchased at the following:
UL 96A Installation Requirements for Lightning Protection Systems (discounts available with examination registration)
Certification is valid for three years. Certification can be renewed by:
- Earning 3 continuing education credits or 30 learning hours before the three-year expiration. Credits must be related to topics of lightning protection system technology or similar fields or retesting after the 3-year expiration.
UL reserves the right to require testing by examination for recertification in the instance of major changes to applicable codes or standards.
- Qualified electrical professionals
- Individuals with 3 or more years of experience in the lightning protection system installation field
- Qualified military professionals
UL Knowledge Services workshops are designed for and intended to serve individuals using and relying upon UL services. UL Knowledge Services reserves the right to limit workshop attendance strictly to the foregoing. In addition, UL Knowledge Services reserves the right to change, reschedule or cancel any workshop at any time. UL shall not be responsible for any consequential or other losses resulting from the cancellation or postponement of this workshop such as airline and other travel/personal expenses. UL Knowledge Services accepts the following forms of payment for registration: Visa, MasterCard, American Express and Invoice/PO. Please note that Invoice/PO is not accepted for online courses.
The UL Lightning Protection Installer Certificate provides value to both the individual and their employer.
Value to Individual:
- Allows the Lightning Protection professional to obtain a recognized credential that shows they have the expertise and ability to apply a broad spectrum of lightning protection requirements defined in the Body of Knowledge and Lightning Protection installation standards.
- Enhances career potential and may help with career advancement
- Certification is associated with the individual lightning protection professional and not their employer
- Demonstrates initiative and commitment to a higher level of professionalism in the lightning protection industry and a willingness to step up
Value to Employers:
- Provides confidence to employers in having a team member with demonstrated proficiency in lightning protection industry requirements and practices
- Minimizes training duration since employee can hit the ground running
UL is the ONLY inspection service provider to achieve IAS accreditation to ISO/IEC 17020 for inspection of installed Lightning Protection Systems (LPS).
Other similar service providers are not accredited for LPS inspection services. Trade associations and related entities have had no independent evaluation of their capabilities.
With UL, stakeholders such as building owners, architects, general contractors, electrical contractors, LPS Installers, and building inspection code authorities have added confidence in the professionals and processes that deliver the UL Master Label Certificate.