UL 410: Standard for Slip Resistance of Floor Surface Materials
UL 410, Standard for Slip Resistance of Floor Surface Materials, is useful for evaluating slip resistance on virtually all walkway surfaces and finishes. Slip resistance is critical to demonstrating that flooring products are effective as well as safe for occupants so they can avoid potentially dangerous slip and falls or other mishaps.
UL 410 Services
UL 410 Slip Resistance certification is applicable to the following types of products
- Floor covering materials made of wood or composite materials
- Water-based floor treatment materials
- Fillers, sealers, varnishes and similar floor treatment materials
- Detergent materials
- Abrasive-grit-bearing floor treatment materials
- Floor treatment materials other than water-based
- Sweeping compound materials
- Walkway construction materials used as floor plates, ramps and stair treads that are made of natural stone, composite materials, abrasive-grit, surface materials and metal
Testing and Certification
Manufacturers of floor covering materials, floor treatment materials and walkway construction materials may have their products certified to UL 410 to demonstrate the slip resistance of their products. The testing method involves preparation of the representative floor surfaces and then testing to determine their static coefficient of friction, which must be greater than a minimum accepted value in order to earn certification. This coefficient indicates the product’s level of slip resistance in a meaningful, relative way.
Manufacturers who achieve the UL 410 certification can label products with the UL certification Mark, signaling to decision-makers that their product has been tested and certified by a respected, credible third-party. This provides a notable competitive advantage over other products in the marketplace.