Third party formaldehyde emissions compliance services to meet CARB ATCM and EPA TSCA requirements
CARB ATCM regulations
The California Air Resources Board’s (CARB) Airborne Toxic Control Measure (ATCM), enacted in 2007, established formaldehyde emissions limits for newly manufactured, unfinished composite wood products. Failure to comply can result in fines, litigation and damage to the brand for retailers, suppliers and product manufacturers.
EPA TSCA regulations
The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) introduced the Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA) Title VI Compliance Rule in 2016. The EPA Rule was created with the help of CARB to ensure the rule was consistent or similar to the CARB ATCM Method but provides a greater compliance requirement for the United States.
Formaldehyde compliance services
UL Solutions’ CARB and EPA Formaldehyde Compliance Solutions provide companies with testing, tracking, monitoring and other services to support their efforts to ensure CARB and/or EPA compliance. Our CARB and EPA Formaldehyde Compliance Services are designed to meet companies’ unique needs and may include:
- Chamber testing to ASTM E 1333 and ASTM D 6007
- Supplier declaration and risk assessment and rating
- Development of product protocols and requirements
- Development of custom advanced supplier monitoring and tracking systems
- Desktop review and chain-of-custody audits
- Factory and warehouse inspections
- Advanced chemical emissions testing and certification to ensure compliance
- CARB and/or EPA certification
Proactively addressing CARB ATCM and/or EPA TSCA compliance not only reduces risk of fines, penalties and litigation, but also delivers valuable information about the safety and acceptability of products and supply chain materials. CARB and EPA Formaldehyde Compliance Solutions from UL Solutions create an audit trail in case of complaints and also help companies deliver products to market that support human health. Companies can leverage CARB and/or EPA testing and evaluation as a starting point to comply with other international standards.
Why UL Solutions for formaldehyde emissions compliance
CARB ATCM and EPA TSCA Formaldehyde Compliance Solutions from UL Solutions create an audit trail in case of complaints and also helps companies deliver products to market that support human health. Companies can leverage CARB and/or EPA testing and evaluation as a starting point to comply with other international standards.
- ASTM E1333 Standard Test Method for Determining Formaldehyde Concentrations in Air and Emission Rates from Wood Products Using a Large Chamber
- ASTM D6007 Standard Test Method for Determining Formaldehyde Concentration in Air from Wood Products Using a Small Scale Chamber