UL’s flammability testing can help determine how your products will react when exposed to flames and fire. We utilize recognized testing methods found in the standards of the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), American National Standards Institute (ANSI), ASTM International (ASTM) and International Organization for Standardization (ISO). Our familiarity with these standards, along with our expertise in the area of fire safety, enable us to test products across several industries for compliance with global standards.
With a knowledge base that allows us to span several industries, we can perform flammability testing on the following items:
- Furniture, including mattresses and futons
- Wall coverings and upholstered furniture
- Plastics and components
- Textiles and apparel
- Flammable gases, vapors and liquid
- Personal care and beauty
- Toys and juvenile products.
We also have the capability to test to the following standards:
- ASTM D1230-10 Standard Test Method for Flammability of Apparel Textiles
- ASTM E1232-07(2013) Standard Test Method for Temperature Limit of Flammability of Chemicals
- UL 94 Standard for Safety of Flammability of Plastic Materials for Parts in Devices and Appliances testing
- 16 CFR 1633 Flammability (Open Flame) of Mattress Sets
- 16 CFR 1615 and1616 Standard for the Flammability of Clothing Textiles Children’s Sleepwear
- 16 CFR Part 1632 edition 2012 Flammability of Mattress and Mattress pads
- California Technical Bulletin (TB) 117 for foam
- California Technical Bulleting (TB) 133 for public seating
- NFPA 260:2009 Flammability (cigarette test) ofcomponents of upholstered furniture
- European Flammability Tests: BS 5852:2006 (UK flammability tests), EN 1021 (Assessment of the ignitability of upholstered furniture), EN 597 (mattresses and upholstered bedding), and ISO12952 (flammability of bedding)
Knowing how your products will perform when they are subjected to flames and fire is not only a responsible safety practice, it is also a critical component in building consumer trust.We can help you answer those questions and, in turn, help you build that trust. For decades, UL has upheld and advanced flammability testing to meet the evolving needs of our customers, allowing us to become a full-service provider of fire safety testing for stakeholders around the world. Our dedicated team of fire safety professionals will guide your through the flammability testing process, answer any questions you may have and help you better understand the complexities of the fire safety ecosystem.