Furniture in office environments can take a lot of abuse. That’s why furniture manufacturers voluntarily conduct third-party testing for performance and durability characteristics, to help ensure that their products maintain their integrity in the most challenging environments.
UL has extended testing capability and is a leader in performance and durability testing for furniture, with labs located in Holland, Michigan, Jasper, Indiana, and Cabiate, Italy. UL can conduct testing to ANSI/BIFMA test methods for seating, case goods and office panel systems, in addition to EN and British standards.
UL provides a full range of testing for furnishing fabrics, filling materials, furniture components and more.
Performance and durability tests available:
- ANSI/BIFMA X6.1-2012 Educational Seating – Tests
- ANSI/BIFMA X5.11-2015 General Purpose Large Occupant Office Chairs – Tests
- ANSI/BIFMA X5.4-2012 Lounge Seating – Tests
- ANSI/BIFMA X5.1-2011 General Purpose Office Chairs – Tests
- GSA Tests for Intensive Use and Upholstered Furniture – GSA Performance Test Method for Intensive Use Chairs
- GSA Upholstered Durability Test
- Mechanical Life Cycle Testing
- Cyclic Impact Testing
- EN 1335-1,-2,-3
Case goods, tables and panels
- ANSI/BIFMA X5.5-2014 Desk/Table Products – Tests
- ANSI/BIFMA S6.5-2001 Small Office/Home Office Furniture – Tests
- ANSI/BIFMA X5.6-2016 Panel Systems – Tests
- ANSI/BIFMA X5.9-2012 Storage Units – Tests
- ANSI/BIFMA X5.3-2012 Vertical Files – Tests
- ASTM D 2794 – Resistance of Organic Coatings to the Effects of Rapid Deformation (Impact)
We provide a comprehensive portfolio of essential testing offerings for the furniture industry, offering ANSI/BIFMA furniture testing, as well as UL safety certification in accordance with UL 1286, the Standard for Office Furnishings, GREENGUARD Certification and chemical emissions testing.