November 29, 2023
Effective Jan. 1, 2023, National Electrical Code® (NEC®) 230.46 requires wire connectors used for splicing or tapping conductors on the line side of service equipment to be certified (listed) as suitable for this use.
How will these connectors be marked to identify this use on the line side of service equipment?
Are there any connectors UL Certified (Listed) for this use?
Yes, UL Certified wire connectors for this use are now available. Follow the steps below to search UL Product iQ® to find them yourself or go to this page where you can find a list of links to manufacturers’ UL certification files on Product iQ along with model numbers of wire connectors certified (listed) by UL Solutions for this use.
These wire connectors are UL Certified (Listed) under the product category Wire Connectors and Soldering Lugs (ZMVV). The guide information for this category states that connectors suitable for use on the line side of service equipment may be marked with the following or equivalent: “SR” or “Suitable for Use on the Line Side of Service Equipment.” These markings may appear on a connector, smallest unit container or information sheet placed in the smallest unit container.
To search Product iQ yourself to identify connectors certified (listed) for this use, go to UL Product iQ® and then:
- Begin the search by entering the Category Control Number (CCN) "ZMVV" in the "Create a Search Now" field.
- On the next screen, enter the manufacturer’s file number or name in the keyword search field.
- Select the ZMVV certification (listing) file from the results.
- In the left navigation under "Resources," select "View Products in this Listing."
- Once viewing those search results, use the "Search Template" in the left navigation to see Certified (Listed) models eligible to display the SR or equivalent text option by selecting the "Use Statement" field and then selecting "Suitable for use on the line side of service equipment." A complete list of models from this file that are eligible to bear this marking will be displayed. If this text option is missing from the "Use Statement" field, the manufacturer does not have any connectors certified (listed) for the use.
Searching Product iQ is complimentary; registration is required for full access.
Actionable insights on the topics you choose, delivered directly to your inbox.