December 15, 2020
By Joe Musso, standards program manager
Sign up for What’s New by selecting “Join Email List” on the What’s New site to receive email notifications twice a month listing the various UL and ULC Standards documents published during that timeframe.
STP 496 – Lampholders – Two new proposals, covering ANSI C81.63 gauge references and screw shell base material options, were circulated for STP and public preliminary review during Q2 2020. Comments were received and are under review by the technical harmonization committee (THC).
STP 1598 – Luminaires – The proposed new (5th) edition of UL 1598 was circulated for STP ballot during Q2 2020. The proposal reached consensus but with a significant number of technical comments. Recirculation of the revised 5th edition, based on ballot comments, opened Oct. 16, 2020, closing Nov. 30.
STP 1838 – Low Voltage Landscape Lighting Systems – A series of 10 new proposal topics were circulated for STP ballot and public review during Q2 2020. All 10 proposal topics reached consensus, with only editorial comments. The resulting revisions were published in UL 1838 on Oct. 30.
STP 1993 – Self-ballasted Lamps and Lamp Adapters – A series of 18 proposals were circulated for STP ballot during Q4 2019. Comment resolution and coordination between UL and CSA concluded, and recirculation opened Oct. 9, 2020, closing Nov. 23.
STP 8750 – Light Emitting Diode (LED) Equipment for Use in Lighting Products – Several new proposal topics were circulated for STP ballot June 19, 2020, closing July 20. All four topics reached consensus, and revisions were published in the Standard on Sept. 11. A summary of topics is as follows:
- Add criteria for enclosure openings
- Add grounded conductor color options
- Correct bonding conductor test setup
- Add supplement SK to facilitate evaluation of double insulated LED equipment using current requirements of UL 2097
In addition, several new proposals have been circulated to the STP for ballot on Oct. 23, 2020, with ballots and comments due Dec. 7. The summary of topics is as follows:
- Scope expansion to include LED packages with spectral power distribution characteristics outside of the visible light spectrum (400-700 nm), revisions to Supplement SD to include special-use LED packages and revisions to Supplement SJ to include direct references to IEC 62471
- LED controllers
- Potting compounds
- Feedthrough circuits and receptacles
- Leakage current test