June 1, 2020
By Joe Musso, Standards Program Manager
Standards information link
Sign up for “What’s New” by selecting “Join Email List” on the What’s New site to receive email notifications twice a month listing the various UL and ULC Standards documents published during that timeframe.
UL 153 – PORTABLE LUMINAIRES: A series of 17 proposal topics for UL 153 have been circulated for STP ballot May 1, 2020, closing June 15. A summary of topics is as follows:
1. Low voltage portable luminaire power source and marking options
2. Scope exclusions and clarifications
3. Enclosure materials for non-class 2 circuits
4. Interconnected units–supply connections, overcurrent protection, markings and instructions
5. Bonding of the grounding terminal of receptacles
7. Incandescent temperature-test exempt lamp replacement marking
8. Under-shelf mounted units
9. Appliance and headboard mounted units
10. Hand lights–lamp guards and power supply cords
11. Drop test
12. Options for marking form designations A and C
13. Revised application of Form 2 marking location
14. Marking form for portable luminaires containing hazardous substances
15. Lamp replacement markings
16. Manufacturing and production test
17. Editorial revisions
UL 924 – EMERGENCY LIGHTING AND POWER EQUIPMENT: A series of 23 proposal topics were circulated for ballot in January 2020. All 23 topics reached consensus, but with a significant number of comments. Recirculation of revised proposals and comment replies occurred in March, and consensus was maintained. The next step is publication of the proposed changes in the standard.
UL 1598 – LUMINAIRES (TRI-NATIONAL STANDARD): The proposed new (5th) edition of UL 1598 was circulated for Standard Technical Panel (STP) ballot April 10, 2020, scheduled to close June 9.
In addition, proposed new requirements covering low voltage track systems in UL 1574, the Standard for Track Lighting Systems, were circulated for ballot in January 2020. The proposal reached consensus, with comments. The revised proposal and comment replies were subsequently recirculated in March/April. The proposal maintained consensus and is scheduled for publication.
UL 1993 – SELF-BALLASTED LAMPS AND LAMP ADAPTERS: A series of 18 proposals were circulated for STP ballot during Q4 2019. With the exception of three proposals, all have reached consensus and will move to the next steps in the process: comment resolution and recirculation as appropriate.
UL 8750 – LIGHT EMITTING DIODE (LED) EQUIPMENT FOR USE IN LIGHTING PRODUCTS: A series of nine proposal topics were circulated for STP preliminary review in March 2020, closing May 1. A summary of topics is as follows:
1. Clarify scope for LED controllers covered
2. Add criteria for enclosure openings
3. Clarify requirements for potting compounds and add new definitions
4. Add requirements for feedthrough circuits and receptacles
5. Add grounded conductor color options
6. Revisions to applicability of the leakage current test, the test method and the measurement circuit for leakage current
7. Correction to bonding conductor test set up
8. Add supplement SK to facilitate evaluation of double insulated LED equipment using current requirements of UL 2097
9. For discussion only: Class 2 circuits and LED lighting components
Comments were received and are under review by the respective proposal authors.