The Maine Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) has announced the listing of the following four phthalates as priority chemicals under the state’s Toxic Chemicals in Children’s Products law.
- Di(2-ethylhexyl) phthalate (DEHP)
- Dibutyl phthalate (DBP)
- Benzyl butyl phthalate (BBP)
- Diethyl phthalate (DEP)
Children’s products covered include:
- Craft supplies
- Building and home maintenance products
- Cosmetic and personal care products
- Household cleaning products
Distributors or manufacturers of children’s products having intentionally-added regulated phthalates must report the following to the DEP no later than 180 days after the effective date:
- Description of the product
- Amount and function of the substance
- Product sales data
- “Any other information the manufacturer deems relevant to the reporting of the regulated product”
Rule is in effect as of June 22, 2015.