July 5, 2019
Japanese Industrial Standards (JISs), Z 7252 – Classification of Chemicals Based on “Globally Harmonized System of Classification and Labeling of Chemicals (GHS)” and Z 7253 – Hazard Communication of Chemicals Based on GHS – Labeling and Safety Data Sheet (SDS) were recently revised and became available on May 25, 2019. Both JISs have been updated from the 4th revision of GHS to the 6th revision. Chemical suppliers have until May 24, 2022 to adopt the requirements of the new JISs and update their SDSs and labels if necessary.
What are the changes?
In accordance with the 6th revision of GHS, the classification standard, JIS Z 7252, adds a new hazard class and a new hazard category. Desensitized Explosives has been added as a new hazard class; Pyrophoric Gases has been added as a new hazard category under the Flammable Gases hazard class.
There are no changes in the existing building blocks or concentration limits.
The updated labeling and SDS standard, JIS Z 7253:
- Revokes the use of an empty diamond on labels as this is no longer accepted;
- Revises Japanese phrases for the hazard categories: Flammable Gases, Oxidizing Gases, Aspiration Hazard and their associated hazard and precautionary statements (Annexes A, B and C);
- Clarifies the use of mandatory and non-mandatory (recommended) information and subheadings in the SDS (Annex Table D.1);
- Provides a list of physical and chemical properties data and their descriptions as well as a list containing the data that is required for each of the physical hazard classes (Annex E); and
- Incorporates examples of small container labels (Annex F).
- Review existing labels and SDS for Japan and verify that they contain up-to-date information and data.
- Revise the classification of your products and update label and SDS contents as necessary.
- Update the library/list with the newly added/revised phrases if you maintain a Japanese phrase library or a list of Japanese phrases used in the preparation of labels and SDSs.
JIS Z7252: 2019 Classification of Chemicals Based on “Globally Harmonized System of Classification and Labeling of Chemicals (GHS)”
JIS Z7253: 2019 Hazard Communication of Chemicals Based on GHS – Labeling and Safety Data Sheet (SDS)
Both standards are only available in Japanese. A copy of these or any other JIS standard can be purchased from the Japanese Standards Association website. https://www.jsa.or.jp/en/