Addressing mDL implementation issues
As we move toward broader implementation of mobile driver’s licenses (mDL), challenges for issuers include:
- Interoperability: Ensuring that your issued mDL works across (state) borders.
- Security: Guaranteeing the trust of DL verifiers such as law enforcement in the authenticity of your mDL.
- Privacy: Assuring the end user's privacy is intact and that their data is protected.
UL Solutions partners with DL issuers to find solutions for these concerns. From education and strategy to testing and certification, UL Solutions' expertise helps to ensure successful mDL implementation.
Our mDL offerings
- mDL expertise
- End-to-end support
- Expert assistance in managing interoperability of your mDL across borders
- Identification of risks, and vital checks on your security controls
Why UL Solutions?
UL Solutions is uniquely positioned to support driving license issuers towards the introduction of mDL.
- UL Solutions' experts bring experience gained through their leadership role in the working group for international standardization of the mDL (ISO 18013-5) and their advisory position with regional associations of issuing authorities.
- UL Solutions' experts have hands-on experience building an mDL Proof-of-Concept, and involvement in testing mDL solutions.
- UL Solutions proudly coordinated the world’s first “mDL Prototype Interoperability Party," a test event where the interaction between mDL and mDL Reader prototypes from multiple implementers were tried out.
How can UL Solutions help you?
UL Solutions provides advisory services to driving license issuers to guide them through all the steps necessary to implement an mDL. Our mDL strategic workshop is a great way to prepare all relevant stakeholders for the decisions to be made on strategic, technical, security and policy levels throughout the design, implementation and deployment lifecycle. Furthermore, we assist issuing authorities to have confidence that their (acquired) mDL solution is a strong fit to their needs, taking into account existing infrastructure, safeguarding interoperability, security and privacy. UL Solutions also provides support in development of an mDL strategy, stakeholder analysis, requirements engineering, RFP and vendor selection.
Testing and certification
UL Solutions offers a suite of verification and certification services for mDL:
- End-to-End Testing
- Interoperability Testing
- User Acceptance Testing
- Regression Testing
- UL mDL Application ISO 18013-6 Test Suite
We will also check the non-functional aspects (performance, usability, reliability, etc.) of the mDL solution. Making sure that the mDL solutions going to market are secure and compliant is our goal.
UL Solutions provides security assurance for mDL implementations through systematic identification and categorization of threats and associated risks; and then verifying these are mitigated with appropriate security controls and risk management strategies.
- Identification of threats, risks and appropriate controls. This entails determining what technical, organizational and operational controls are required to mitigate threats and manage risks during the design and development phase of an mDL solution.
- Verification of security controls. This entails auditing of processes and penetration testing of implementations during and after development to provide assurance that the solution meets the necessary security requirements.
- Operational testing. Once deployed testing can help to ensure that over time technical controls are still sufficient and that organizational and operational controls are working effectively and achieving the requirements determined in the design phase.
Trusted expertise for Driver License Authorities
Transforming a Driver License into a Mobile Identity
The modern-day smartphone is a powerful device. People are becoming more and more accustomed to being able to use their mobile phones to make in-store purchases, present a ticket for travel or a show, or prove their identity. Nearly gone are the days when people needed to carry physical proof of bank cards, cash and documentation.
In line with this rapidly growing trend, the driver's license is following suit. Over 15 states in the US have implemented or are planning a pilot program to make the mobile driver’s license (mDL) a reality, and several have already introduced resolutions or legislation.
- Reducing issuing costs
- Helping to ensure trusted Identities
- Alleviating administrative burden
- Expanding use cases for Driving Licenses