Foodservice Safety Checklist
Protecting the safety of employees, customers and facilities is a priority for companies as they move to reopen, recalibrate operations and drive growth after a crisis. UL Solutions offers the following suggested guidelines for safely resuming operations of food service, grocery stores and restaurants.
Safety checklist for food service, grocery stores and restaurants
- Place hand sanitizing stations at all entryways.
- Maintain at least 6 feet between guests and parties of guests at all times, including waiting lines and seated areas.
- Place barriers at each point-of-service or register.
- Wipe down high contact surfaces at predetermined intervals.
- Cover all front-of-house (FOH) food and beverages, e.g., water pitchers.
- Require all staff to wear masks or face coverings and gloves consistent with local policy and jurisdictional guidance.
- Place food and food contact table settings, e.g., condiments, flatware and glassware, after guests are seated.
- Clean and sanitize pens at point-of-service or registers and separate from used pans.
- Place hand sanitizers and wastebaskets by the door in all restrooms.
- Use disposable food handling utensils instead of reusable food handled tools, e.g., use deli tissues instead of tongs.
- Establish a handwashing policy for staff.
- Establish a cleaning schedule for common gathering areas, e.g., restrooms, waiting areas and lobbies.
- Use paper towels when turning on a sink or opening doors.
- Place signage throughout facilities regarding hygiene, social distancing, traffic flow and proper Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) use.
Additional resources for foodservice safety
- CDC Considerations for Restaurants and Bars
- FDA Food Code 2017
- Local Department of Public Health Guidance
Always review and follow local health guidelines, building codes and regulations when resuming operations in your facility.