Business today is more connected than ever, and data is becoming its most valuable asset. Consequently, the value of this information makes it appealing to bad actors, and their actions can lead to the loss of customer confidence, competitive advantage, damage to brand reputation and potential litigation.
With increasing communication between customers, suppliers and service providers — often on disparate devices accessing this information around the world — assessing information security can be a huge challenge. As devices get smarter and business complexity increases, the need to secure your data is becoming increasingly important. UL can help you secure your data with certification to ISO/IEC 27001.
The easiest way to maintain the confidentiality, integrity and availability of your sensitive company and customer information – both digital and physical – is to understand and manage it on a more granular level. As part of the ISO/IEC 27000 family of standards that help organizations ensure asset security, ISO/IEC 27001 helps accomplish this goal by providing requirements for the certification of an information security management system (ISMS).
In addition to requiring that you fully assess the risks facing your information assets, ISO/IEC 27001 also requires you to implement security controls to mitigate information security risks. As guidance, the standard provides a list of security controls that must be implemented. Engaging UL for this certification comes with numerous benefits in addition to the rigor you’ve already come to expect from us, including:
- Reduced vendor management — Bundling services with UL minimizes disruptions, reduces the number of vendors you have to manage and means fewer companies have access to your systems. The knowledge gained from the other services we provide also allows for a deeper understanding of your business.
- Customer confidence — Protecting the security of your data demonstrates to customers that you will respect and maintain security of their valuable information as well. Many companies now require such measures before engaging a vendor and consider ISO/IEC 27001 certification a business best practice.
- Future product controls — With system security established as a part of your business, future products and systems will naturally benefit.
- Data privacy and regulatory compliance — Certification to ISO/IEC 27001 is an accepted compliance method for regulatory requirements, such as General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) in the European Union.
- Brand protection — Enhance the security and protection of your brand as well as your customers’ brands by creating and sustaining a robust information security management system.
UL understands the importance of your sensitive information and can help businesses of every size, level of complexity and geographic location benefit from ISO/IEC 27001 certification. In particular, certification is especially valuable to companies required to comply with regional and international data privacy regulations. It is critically important to those navigating the GDPR in Europe as well as those managing proprietary customer information in the technology, manufacturing, healthcare, information technology and financial services arenas.