As the only international standard for risk management for medical devices, ISO 14971 has become an integral element for satisfying regulatory requirements in most major markets and should be incorporated into the medical device life cycle.
The purpose of ISO 14971 is to assist medical device manufacturers in establishing, documenting and maintaining a risk management process to: 1) identify hazards and hazardous conditions; 2) estimate and evaluate the associated risks; 3) control those risks; and 4) continually monitor the effectiveness of the controls put in place throughout the product life cycle.
The concepts of ISO 14971 are applicable to the broad range of risks associated with medical devices. This is evidenced by its reference in numerous medical device standards, including the third edition of IEC 60601-1 (electrical safety), IEC 62366 (usability), ISO 13485:2003 (quality) and IEC 62304 (software), among others.
This class will provide participants with not only an understanding of the ISO 14971 concepts, but also direct, hands-on experience in applying the concepts through a Case-Study. Additionally, the course will discuss the expectations associated with the EN ISO 14971: 2012 edition of the standard. This course is available for delivery in the Spanish language and includes translated participant materials. The IEC and\or AAMI standard are only available in English.
- Introduction to risk management
- Risk management policy and plan
- Definitions and Risk Acceptability
- Intended use and hazard identification
- Risk estimation and evaluation
- Option analysis and risk control
- Risk Management report and post production information
- ISO 14971:2012 Content Deviations from the Essential Requirements, and Expectations for the Technical File
- Understand the application of risk management for a medical device
- Explain the scope and limitations of ISO 14971
- Determine how a risk management system fits into a quality management system
- Identify how and where to use the various tools for risk management
- Apply ISO 14971 in a case-study class example, extending from product concept through to commercialization
- Medical device risk management professionals
- Product safety and compliance engineers
- Product designers
- Engineering consultants
- Regulatory affairs professionals
Continuing Education Units (CEUs)
Contact your local jurisdiction for CEU recognition.
UL 2222 Woodale Drive Suite 300 Mounds View, MN 55112