In the ever-changing world of digital technology, safety standards for Audio/Visual and I.T.E. products are constantly being updated and developed to reflect the changes. Product safety for these products is moving away from a prescriptive approach to a hazard safety approach with the introduction of 62368-1. This hazard-based 62368 standard offers greater flexibility in product design and makes it easier for introduction of new technology.
62368-1 is the hazard-based standard that will eventually replace existing standards: IEC/EN/UL/CSA 60065, Audio, Video & Similar Electronic Apparatus and IEC/EN/UL/CSA 60950–1, Information Technology Equipment. This new standard applies to a broad range of high-tech products from consumer electronics to office equipment and offers greater flexibility in product design, making it easier for the introduction of new technology.
The current effective date for 62368-1 in the United States and Europe is June 20, 2019. Non-compliant products cannot be sold in major markets beyond the effective date so plan ahead to ensure your products carry 62368-1 certification and avoid costly delays.
UL has created a toolkit to help you prepare for a smooth transition from legacy standards 60065 and 60950-1, to 62368-1.
The new standards cover a wide range of high-tech products, including:
- Computing & networking products: servers, PCs, routers, notebook/laptop computers, tablets and their power supplies
- Consumer electronics: amplifiers, home theatre systems, digital cameras and personal music players
- Displays and display units: monitors, TVs and digital projectors
- Telecommunication products: network infrastructure equipment, cordless and mobile phones, and similar communication devices, including battery powered devices
- Office appliances: copiers and document shredders
- Similar varieties of audio/video, information and communication technology equipment: devices used in homes, schools, data processing centers, commercial, and professional environments
Are You Ready for 62368-1? Prepare for Compliance with the UL 62368 ToolKit
The 62368 UL ToolKit is available for $795 USD. This comprehensive resource includes:
- A copy of the 62368-1 Standard ($642 USD value)
- Step-by-step transition guide
- Notifications on latest updates to 62368-1
- Access to Webinars/Webcasts
- Exclusive Members-Only Q&A Blog
- and much more…
Watch this video to find out more about the UL 62368-1 Toolkit.
Safety standards for high-tech products over the next two to three years will be shifting from prescriptive requirements to a new hazard-based concept that emphasizes safety design in the early product development phase. This interactive course helps current Information Technology Equipment and Audio/Video manufacturers gain the expertise they need to design to the new requirements of 62368–1.