The Ministry of Consumer Affairs of India has released G.S.R. 629(E) The Legal Metrology (Packaged Commodities) Amendment Rules 2017.
The amendments contain provisions related to:
- Declaration of country of origin or manufacture or assembly in case of imported products
- Alignment of the declaration of packages containing food articles with the requirements of the Food Safety and Standards Act, 2006 (best before or use by the date, month and year)
- Declaration of Maximum Retail Price (MRP)
- Permission to declare (i) Barcode or GTIN or QR Code; (ii) ‘E-code’ for net quantity assurance of the commodity; (iii) Logos of Government schemes in addition to the mandatory declarations.
- Size of height of numerals or letters used in declarations on the label
- Declaration on the digital and electronic network used for e-commerce transactions
Date of Enactment: June 23, 2017
Date of Enforcement: January 1, 2018