The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) has announced the implementation of “Gazette Notification of Food Safety and Standards (Food or Health Supplements, Nutraceuticals, Foods for Special Dietary Uses, Foods for Special Medical Purpose, Functional Foods and Novel Food) Regulations, 2016” on January 1, 2018.
This regulation covers the requirements related to composition, claims, labeling, etc. for the following categories:
- health supplements
- foods for special dietary purpose
- foods for special medical purpose
- specialty food containing plant or botanicals
- food containing probiotics
- food containing prebiotics
- novel food
Aside from this, the regulation provides a section on vitamins, minerals, botanical ingredients, food additives, probiotics and prebiotics, etc.