UL has comprehensive knowledge of the standards and risks associated with sourcing, construction and performance of footwear, textiles and apparel.
We help our clients improve the strength of their global supply chains, optimize product performance and protect brand reputation.
Our state-of-the-art laboratories around the world can help determine whether the products our clients manufacture, sell and distribute comply with regional regulations while meeting consumer expectations for quality, fit, and durability. We have significant experience in helping luxury brands to maintain stringent quality controls across the entire supply chain.
UL is an official Contributor of the ZDHC program and supports the initiative’s vision of widespread implementation of sustainable chemistry and best practices to protect consumers, workers and the environment. UL partners with clients to help with every aspect of sustainability and supply chain management. UL makes compliance with safety regulations and standards easier with comprehensive offerings tailored specifically for the textile and shoe manufacturing industries. These services include sustainability checks, including UL Onsite Wastewater Assessment. Based on the Zero Discharge of Hazardous Chemicals (ZDHC) Program to remove hazardous chemicals in the global textile and footwear value chain. Wastewater Assessments provide actionable information to manufacturers who source goods from water intensive operations such as leather tanneries and dye operations.
From factory to shelf, we help ensure your products meet quality, safety, and social standards. We offer quality and safety assurance services for textiles and apparel, including:
- Development fabric and production testing
- Chemical management
- Restricted substances
- Care instruction and labeling
- Colorfastness and lightfastness
- Fiber analysis
- Dimensional stability, durability and performance
- Promotional claims testing
- Children’s apparel risk assessments
- Quality Inspections
- Manufacturing and Social Compliance Audits
UL’s services for the footwear industry include:
- Product testing to international standards
- Testing/obtaining the CE mark on leather, leather products, and footwear (France only)
- Aromatic amines derived from AZO colorants testing
- Testing to state regulations including California Proposition 65
- Documentation for shipping within Europe
- Quality inspections
- Manufacturing and social compliance audits
- Phthalate Testing