Information on residential smoke alarms as well as smoke detectors from the recognized leader in fire protection equipment testing and certification.
Smoke alarms are intended to notify the occupants of the presence of a threatening fire and the need to escape to a place of safety before such escape might be impeded by untenable conditions in the escape path.
- Certified smoke alarms (UL 217) Information Manufacturers
- Scope of the UL 217 Standard for Single- and Multiple-Station Smoke Alarm View here
- Smoke alarm sensitivity calibration article View here
- UL smoke alarm recommendations concerning ionization and photoelectric technologies View here
Research and information on residential smoke alarms
Smoke detectors are intended to provide a signal to other equipment as a results of sensing smoke in order to initiate a response to those signals.
Duct smoke detectors
Duct smoke detectors are intended to prevent smoke spread by initiating control of fans, dampers, doors, and other equipment.
- Certified smoke detectors for use in ducts and special applications (UL 268A) Information Manufacturers
- Scope of the UL 268A Standard for Smoke Detectors for Duct Applications View here
- Scope of UL Subject 268B Outline of Investigation for Video Image Smoke Detectors View here