Energy efficiency testing
Energy efficiency requirements
UL can evaluate and test HVAC/R equipment to mandated U.S. Department of Energy (DOE), California Energy Commission (CEC), National Resources Canada (NRCan) and other international or regional requirements, UL, ASHRAE, AHRI and international standards, or to customer-specific energy efficiency requirements. UL is also an EPA-recognized Certification Body (CB) for the ENERGY STAR® Program. For more information on how UL can assist you with the enhanced requirements, click here.
UL's Dallas Energy Efficiency Test Center opened in 2005 and is one of the largest HVAC/R performance testing facilities in North America. The center underwent an extensive expansion in 2009 that doubled UL's HVAC/R performance testing capacity and enhanced its industry service capabilities.
The 33,000 square foot facility features state-of-the-art equipment and comprehensive capabilities for energy efficiency testing for a variety of HVAC/R product categories including both split and packaged small and large unitary equipment, water source air conditioning and heat pump equipment, unit ventilators, single package vertical air conditioners, unitary spot coolers, chillers, DX coils, water coils and steam coils, unit fan coils, packaged terminal heat pumps, household refrigerators, commercial icemakers, both self-contained and remote commercial refrigerated display merchandisers and variable refrigerant flow multi-split equipment.
- Seven dual-cell psychrometric testing chambers
- HVAC capacity to test air-cooled/water-cooled units up to 30 tons
- Equipped to handle international or domestic units that run at 50 or 60 Hz
- Temperature-controlled chambers from -10ºF to 132ºF
- Airflow measurements up to 15,000 CFM
- Water flow rate from 0 to 3,000 lbs per minute
- Refrigerant flow rate from 0 to 250 lbs per minute
- More than 200 thermocouple points per chamber
- Specialized and high accuracy transducers for power, voltage, amps, and pressures
- Data collect speeds up to once per second
- Remote data tracking capability through online connections and in real-time
- Grade-level and dock-height doors for easy loading and unloading of equipment
Bundled safety testing
UL can perform safety certification testing on products at the same location energy efficiency testing is performed, improving operational efficiencies to help achieve your time-to-market requirements.
Flexible component testing options
UL can help determine which components optimize the energy efficiency of a product. Several components from the product manufacturer or component manufacturers can be sent directly to UL for comparison testing.
Convenient data tracking
You can take advantage of faster troubleshooting at our state-of-the-art testing facilities designed to provide best-in-class test data. Real-time test data can also be viewed live by engineers anywhere in the world through our online data tracking software.
Our knowledgeable team of HVAC/R engineering professionals has a wealth of experience in assisting manufacturers with compliance to performance and safety requirements.
UL Dallas HVAC/R Performance Test Center801 Klein Road, Suite 200Plano, TX 75074Office: 972.422.8300Fax: 972.422.1670