Household audio and video equipment -- products and standards
This category covers radio receiving, recording and reproducing appliances and accessories intended for household use.
- Audio frequency equalizers, mixers, noise reduction units and power amplifiers
- Compact disc player/recorders, DVD player/recorders, phonographs, radio-clocks, radio-phonographs, radio receivers and radio-tape players
- Powered loudspeakers
- Record players, tape recorders, tape erasers and tape players
- Television receivers including direct view, rear projection, flat panel plasma and LCD technologies
- Satellite receivers
- Transceivers, tuners, tuner-amplifiers, antenna amplifiers and similar equipment intended solely for use with radio receiving appliances
- UL 60065, Audio, Video and Similar Electronic Apparatus is the basic standard used to test products in this category
- UL 6500, Audio/Video and Musical Instrument Apparatus
- UL 1492, Audio-Video Products and Accessories
- On January 1, 2010, UL 60065 will be the only audio video standard available for household use equipment.
- On January 1, 2010, UL 6500 and UL 1492 will be withdrawn.
- A comparison of the requirements in UL 6500 to the requirements in UL 1492 has been developed. For this detailed comparison, please refer to our UL 6500 Comparison page.
- Certain constructions require a hexamethylene-tetramine (C6H12N4) tablet test. For information concerning the location of a local distributor of this tablet, contact either Vesta Pharmaceuticals at +1-888-55-VESTA (83782) or Regent Textiles Machinery Ltd. at +1-514-333-1415. This tablet has an NDC code of 0002-2535-02 and is tablet number 1588. Other companies may supply this tablet and will be added to this list as they become known.
- Please see our Standards page to find out more about upcoming changes to UL 60065.