IndustriesFood and Beverage
State Senator Bob Wieckowski (D-Fremont) has introduced Senate Bill 504 Protecting Californians from Synthetic Food Dyes Act on February 16, 2017.
The bill aims to mandate labeling of food containing synthetic dyes either on the package or on the shelf or bin where the food is displayed for bulk foods. The bill enumerates the following warning labels:
- WARNING: Dyes in this food may trigger hyperactivity and other behavioral problems in some children.
- WARNING: Children’s behavior might be impaired by the dyes in this food.
- WARNING: This food contains synthetic dyes that may affect children’s behavior.
- WARNING: The synthetic dyes in this food might affect your child’s behavior.
- WARNING: Synthetic dyes may trigger hyperactivity.
- WARNING: Synthetic dyes may trigger behavioral problems.
- WARNING: Some children may be negatively affected by synthetic food dyes.
This bill intends to protect Californians specifically the children who are suffering from behavioral problems.