IndustriesFood and Beverage
Canada Gazette has proposed Safe Food for Canadians Regulations on January 21, 2017.
The regulations aim to consolidate the authorities of the Fish Inspection Act, the Canada Agricultural Products Act, the Meat Inspection Act, and the food provisions of the Consumer Packaging and Labelling Act.
The proposed regulation aims to achieve the following:
- makes food as safe as possible for Canadian families;
- protects consumers by targeting unsafe practices;
- implements tougher penalties for activities that put health and safety at risk;
- provides better control over imports;
- institutes a more consistent inspection regime across all food commodities; and
- strengthens food traceability.
Public consultation is open for the notice until April 20, 2017.