Tips for Interviewing
An interview is your opportunity to tell us about yourself and what you can contribute to our organization.
We use a style of interviewing called Behavioral Interviewing in which we ask you how you acted in specific employment or school-related situations in the past, as one of the best predictors of future performance is past performance. We use a STAR (Situation, Task, Action, Result) selection approach to evaluate you on our Critical Behaviors for Success and job fit:
- Initiative & Decision Making
- Analyzing & Problem Solving
- Customer Focus
- Achieve Business Results
- Leading & Engaging
For example, we may ask you:
- Tell me about a time in your career when you had to make a difficult adjustment. Why was it difficult, what did you do, what options did you consider?
We will then ask you to answer using the STAR process:
- Describe the Situation/Task
- Explain the Action
- What were the Results
Preparing for the Interview
- Research the UL family of companies and our industry – visit www.ul.com
- Bring a copy of your resume, any letters of recommendation, etc.
- Familiarize yourself with the job description and the components of the position for which you will be interviewing.
- Be prepared to talk about your past positions/roles, experiences and responsibilities in detail.
- Assess your own skills – thinking about them both in general as well as those specific to the position for which you will be interviewing.
- Be on time. Confirm directions to your interview location in advance.
- Be confident. Some individuals feel a bit of anxiety about the interview process. But relax and stay focused on the interview and just be yourself.
- Ask questions. It is important for you to ask questions as it demonstrates your interest in the UL family of companies and you will also learn more about the organization.
- Send a thank you note or email to your interviewer(s) and recap why you are a good fit for the open position.
- If you would like an update on the status prior to receiving notification from Human Resources, feel free to contact the recruiter for a status update.
We are equal opportunity employers committed to workforce diversity and fair employment practices.